Harvey began his business career as an award-winning news editor of The Gatlinburg Press, The Mountain Visitor, and The Sevier County News Sentinel. He was a reporter for The Union City Daily Messenger and editor and publisher of The Weakley County Press before selling his ownership interest and entering the investment business.
He was Divisional Sales Manager for Investors Diversified Services of Minneapolis (Now Ameriprise Financial) before forming Harvey L. Gardner & Associates, Inc., a fee-based financial planning firm. Harvey subsequently formed The Gardner Companies comprised of:
- Harvey L. Gardner & Associates, Inc. (Asset Management, Financial Planning, Investment Advice).
- Gardner Securities, Inc. (Real Estate Partnerships, Mutual Funds, Investment Research).
- HLG Corporation (Employee Benefit Plans, Life and Health Insurance, Tax Planning).
- Gardner Managed Asset Trust (A Mutual Fund).
- HLG Management, Inc.(Property Management, Investment Property Analysis, Property acquisition)
He is a Certified Professional Consultant and a Certified Financial Planner.
He has authored three self-published books: Thought: An Awesome Creative Force, How To Buy A Business With Little or No Cash Down, and How To Evaluate Business Opportunities,
Harvey served in the United States Marine Corps as a member the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon at the Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. and a flight simulator instructor for Marine pilots.
He earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism and business administration at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and Certified Financial Planner at The College for Financial Planning. He earned continuing education credits at University of Notre Dame Law School, Purdue University Graduate School of Business, and Owen Graduate School of Management at Vanderbilt University.